Sunday, October 19, 2014

Eon and Eona Duology by Alison Goodman | Book Review




Title: Eon: Dragoneye Reborn, Eona: The Last Dragoneye                                                  
Author: Alison Goodman                                              
Series: Eon
Released: December 26, 2008, April 19, 2011
Pages: 531, 637
Rating: 

Synopsis: (First book only)
Sixteen-year-old Eon has a dream, and a mission. For years, he's been studying sword-work and magic, toward one end. He and his master hope that he will be chosen as a Dragoneye-an apprentice to one of the twelve energy dragons of good fortune.

But Eon has a dangerous secret. He is actually Eona, a sixteen-year-old girl who has been masquerading as a twelve-year-old boy. Females are forbidden to use Dragon Magic; if anyone discovers she has been hiding in plain sight, her death is assured.

When Eon's secret threatens to come to light, she and her allies are plunged into grave danger and a deadly struggle for the Imperial throne. Eon must find the strength and inner power to battle those who want to take her magic...and her life.

I read this duology for about a month or so because right I after a finished the first book, which I did in under a week, school started and that totally threw me off and my reading schedule/habits. Although, when the second picked up, which wasn't that long, I read the rest of it one sitting. 

I've never read a Chinese astrology book before, or just any Chinese books, so that already piqued my attention. The world-building, tied in with Chinese history, politics, social and cultural traditions, was just wonderfully done that you couldn't help but be drawn to it. Although, in the first few chapters book it had me scratching my head a few times. Also, this was my first dragon book (if you count Harry Potter, then no) and now my hands are itching to read more. 

The plot was just so original to me, it being my first ever dragon book, and I loved it. The fantasy world, the action (trust me there was a lot), the hardships and internal struggle were just gut-wrenching and beautiful. The characters were easily relatable and very interesting, especially in this modern society, where we're all just different. We have characters such as a handicap posing as another gender to be accepted, a son fighting hard to do what's right, and a servant who isn't really looked up to because of his sexual orientation. And, I feel like that it is so important to see themes of loyalty and friendship. AND, no plot holes. Yes, I said it. From my previous book reviews, you could see I'm a bit big on plot holes but this one did not have any! And, it was glorious.

Let's talk about our protagonist Eon, or Eona. She was infuriating, to say the least, but maybe because in some parts I related to her while in some situations her decisions just made me want to rip my hair out. In the first book, you could see her struggling with self-identity, which definitely crossed over the second book, but then it transformed to this whole another level of struggle. Her actions definitely made me wonder if she's joking or not and a whole lot of them made me think how much of a hypocrite she actually is. BUT. Eona's character development was so noticeable in the end, where all of her actions seem to tie in, somewhat at least. 

THE FEELS IN THIS BOOK WERE JUST ON THE ROOF. Obstacle after obstacle, wrong decisions after the other, it felt like it was never going to end. This is mainly pointed toward the second book, because the first was like the calm (ish, not really) before the storm. And, there wasn't even a big spotlight on romance, in the first book at least, and I didn't think that that could be done. 

Alison Goodman's writing was just so detailed, precise, and somewhat lyrical. She uses words to encapture the readers' senses; nose, eyes, everything, and make them feel like as if they were physically there. From the scents to the rumble of the earth, I was there. The way she was able to give so much different characters, from the way they spoke to their actions, was just mind-blowing because they were all so distinct and that definitely added to the emotion/tone of the book because the characters were so different, so obviously they all clashed with one other. 

To conclude, please just read this book. Absolutely brilliant, with unique characters and plot, tied in with themes that complimented each other so well. Definitely a well-rounded book. Just make sure to have tissues with you, because those tears will definitely come, whether it be just from serious frustration or just happiness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment