Friday, September 12, 2014

Friday Memes | Beatrice and Virgil

 
The Friday 56 is hosted over at Freda's Voice! While the Book Beginning is hosted over at Rose City Reader. So, go check both of them out if you need more information. 
The rules of The Friday 56 are very simple:
- Grab a book, any book.
- Turn to page 56 or 56% if you are reading from an e-reader.
- Find any sentence or sentences that grab you then post them.
- Make sure to add your post url to the page which is at Freda's Voice, so all of the participants can see!
Book Beginnings:
Share the first sentence, or so, of the book you are currently reading. Share your thoughts and don't forget to also add your post url at Rose City Reader's page!

Beatrice and Virgil by Yann Martel 


I am reading this for my Language Arts and I am actually enjoying it.... This is like, probably, the only second book I've ever enjoyed that is for school, because let's face it, most of them are really boring and the work that comes with school reading kind of turns a lot of people off from the book. Anyone have read this book? 

Book Beginnings
"Henry's second novel, written, like his first, under a pen name, had done well. It had won prizes and was translated into dozens of language. Henry was invited to book launches and literary festivals around the world; countless schools and book clubs adopted the book; he regularly saw people reading it on planes and trains; Hollywood is set on turning it into a movie; and so on and so forth."

The Friday 56
"An okapi was looking up at the street at him, its head tilted forward and turned his way, as if it were expecting him. Erasmus didn't notice it. He was sniffing at the wall with great interest."

It's so interesting to read from an actual writer's perspective because I'm only and will always be a reader because writing isn't for me, but it's always great to know what's going into the process of writing and publishing a book. Tell me what you think in the comments below! 

20 comments:

  1. This my first time doing The Friday 56. It is interesting to see all the different books. I hadn't heard of this on before. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the family! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. I love books about writers and their thoughts and processes....thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, and thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete
  3. Yes! I would be most curious about the author of The Life of Pi; it was such a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing this one :)

    Sparrow's BB & Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interestingly enough, I have not read or watched Life of Pi.

      Delete
  4. I like the concept. Like you I'm a reader who has no real interest in being anything other than just a reader but the idea of reading through a writer's eyes is appealing. Plus, it's nice that you're having to read a book for school that you're actually enjoying. Those were always few and far between for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think I would actually like this, but so far I am!

      Delete
  5. I like the Beginning and the 56. I like to read about writers too. This author's book might become a movie. interesting. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The beginning and the 56 are interesting as is the cover art. It's nice to find a required read that you actually enjoy:)
    Here is my 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2014/09/12/the-friday-56-36-a-crafty-christmas-by-mollie-cox-bryan/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like you I am a reader not a writer. The book sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! If you have time, definitely check this one out!

      Delete
  8. I would love to read this one since I rather enjoyed Life of Pi.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to hear it good. Sometimes required books are not interesting.

    ENJOY!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like Yann Martel's LIFE OF PI so I would be interested to give this one a try. Here are my quotes---Anne

    ReplyDelete