Friday, August 15, 2014

Friday Memes | The Friday 56 and Book Beginning of Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews

 
The Friday 56 is hosted over at Freda's Voice! While the Book Beginning is hosted over at Rose City Reader. So, go check both of them out if you need more information. 
The rules of The Friday 56 are very simple:
- Grab a book, any book.
- Turn to page 56 or 56% if you are reading from an e-reader.
- Find any sentence or sentences that grab you then post them.
- Make sure to add your post url to the page which is at Freda's Voice, so all of the participants can see!
Book Beginnings:
Share the first sentence, or so, of the book you are currently reading. Share your thoughts and don't forget to also add your post url at Rose City Reader's page!

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews 

So, I decided to take a break from the 39 Clues before the Bout of Books, and I recently just borrowed this from the library. So, is anyone joining Bout of Books 11.0? Tell me in the comments below!

The Book Beginning
"So in order to understand everything that happened, you have to start from the premise that high school sucks. Do you accept that premise? Of course you do. It is a universally acknowledged truth that high school sucks. In fact, high school is where we are first introduced to the basic existential question of life: How is it possible to exist in a place that sucks so bad?"

The Friday 56 
"I'm smart in some ways - pretty good vocabulary, solid at math - but I am definitely the stupidest smart person there is."

These snippets are SO me. I am only actually on the second chapter and I am loving it. 
Has anyone read this before? What'd you think of it? 
Tell me in the comments below! 

17 comments:

  1. This sounds like a book I'd really enjoy. I like the reader's voice in the opening, and I definitely understand being "the stupidest smart person."
    Here's the link to my Friday post: MADE FOR TWO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Friday 56, I actually think it might kind of sound like me a bit! :-)
    Check out my Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I saw the 56, I literally laughed so hard because it's so me!

      Delete
  3. I have been on the fence for a while about this book because I thought it was a crying book. I mean if someone dies, it is a given that I will cry. I do not need a repeat of the emotional scarring that The Fault in Our Stars left on my heart. They are hilarious quotes though, so I will have to pick it up.

    My Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it's going to be a TFIOS-esque book but it's so much funnier!

      Delete
  4. "I am definitely the stupidest smart person there is." Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the excerpts - especially the 56. And yeah I have no problem accepting the premise that high school sucks! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really groovy cover!
    LOL at both snippets. Gosh, sure seems like HS to me.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So excited to read through this fast.

      Delete
  7. I think I'd enjoy this. Sounds like me when I was younger. Well, sounds like me now too. LOL
    here is my 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2014/08/15/the-friday-56-32-waking-the-merrow-by-heather-rigney-not-so-nice-mermaids/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet I'm still going to be like this when I get out of high school, haha!

      Delete
  8. I didn't expect the last line. I like this one. I'll bet it's fun. I don't know anything about a Bout of Books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bout of Books is a read-a-thon that goes through the 18th to 24th! If you're looking for a way to lower your TBR pile, read-a-thons are the way.

      Delete
  9. High School can be rough. I think it sounds fun. So glad to hear you are enjoying it.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete