Saturday, July 12, 2014

This Is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith | Book Review


Title: This is What Happy Looks Like                                                          
Author: Jennifer E. Smith                                                             
Series: Stand-alone
Released: April 2, 2013
Pages: 416
Goodreads
Rating: 



      When teenage movie star Graham Larkin accidentally sends small town girl Ellie O'Neill an email about his pet pig, the two seventeen-year-olds strike up a witty and unforgettable correspondence, discussing everything under the sun, except for their names or backgrounds. 
       Then Graham finds out that Ellie's Maine hometown is the perfect location for his latest film, and he decides to take their relationship from online to in-person. But can a star as famous as Graham really start a relationship with an ordinary girl like Ellie? And why does Ellie want to avoid the media's spotlight at all costs?

This book is a light, summer-y contemporary read, and I really enjoyed it. I read this book during the June Trees of Reverie Read-a-thon, when I was taking a break from fantasy reads. This is actually my first Jennifer E. Smith and I'm not disappointed at all, but there's definitely room for improvement. I've heard so many good things about The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight, so I'm really excited to pick that up this month.

The thing that disappointed me in this book is that it didn't really have much of a plot, which I guess makes this a really "light" read, but I feel like if some kind of twist was thrown in there, the book could've been definitely way better. Another was that Ellie, the main protagonist, was making drama out of nothing and I guess that's why the book was really draggy in some parts.

I was so happy when I found out that there was no "insta-love," so that's a plus. I also love the concept of the whole email-sent-wrong, because that ties in with this generation, even though emails are kind of old but still. As I said before this was a light read from the beginning, so I wasn't really expecting any major character development. But, there was and that was really refreshing to see. I can't say that I related to any of the characters, but they did have personal problems that were relatable. I also thought the ending was just right, because that's the whole point of love, whether it be a summer fling or a long distance relationship, it's always going to be indefinite.

All in all, if you're looking for a fast, beach read, this is definitely one for the books. 

Have you guys read this book before? Did you like it or not? Tell me in the comments below and I'll see y'all in the  next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment