Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Fault In Our Stars | Movie Review


The Fault In Our Stars

The movie/book adaptation follows a cancer-patient named Hazel Grace Lancaster, who falls in love with Augustus Waters, who has been in remission for awhile but had to get amputated. They then take an adventure, including an out-of-the-country trip to hunt down an author and helping a friend get over a break-up.




THIS MOVIE. Can I just say that "YES. Finally. A book literally translated to a movie." Obviously, there were changes made to fit the whole story in two hours. But those changes were so minor, that you wouldn't even notice them unless you just read the book, really, like really, really, emotionally and mentally invested into the book, or just have a photographic memory that you have every detail down to the tee.





   There are so many great things about this adaptation. First, let's talk about the casting. Shailene Woodley definitely brought Hazel to life. Her humor, the way she speaks, and also the way she acts were just on point. As for Ansel Elgort, I was a bit skeptical about him, seeing that he plays the brother of Shailene's character in Divergent, so I wasn't sure if I can picture them outside a brother-sister relationship, since I did love Divergent. BUT, IT WORKED. It actually worked. Ansel's take on Augustus was so much different from Caleb, so it wasn't hard to believe their love relationship. As for Nat as Isaac, I didn't really have anything to compare to because this was my first time seeing a movie with him in it but I thought that he did great and made me laugh so hard. Then, there's van Houten, played by Willem Dafoe. He did a splendid job making me angry and so irritated, so props to him because that's exactly what I felt when I was reading the book. I'm pretty certain that if the book hadn't meant anything to me, I would've threw it against the wall because of my hatred of van Houten.
   The second thing that was so great about the film was its soundtrack/film scores. When I found out that Birdy and Grouplove were in the soundtrack, I didn't think they would actually play their songs in the movie. So, when both of them played, I lost it. Their songs just meshed well and added even more meaning to the emotionally-filled scenes. I was certainly surprised about Charli XCX's song being featured in the movie and actually making sense. I hate it when pop songs just randomly plays in the background *cough* City of Bones and Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters *cough*, it makes me cringe so much like no, you don't do that.
  But really, all I have to say is that you certainly need tissues, boxes of them. If you connected with the book, you will be so proud of what the director, and John Green of course, has done with the movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment